I’m peeking into this dusty back room that I used so many years ago and realizing that there are several drafts of thoughts unfinished that never saw the light of Internet dawn; so it goes.
I’ve decided that I want to start daily writing down some thoughts, if for no other reason than to have some record to look back on in years to come. It’s good to reflect, to be cognizant of occupying a moment in time, and to remember the progression of things. It gives weight to each moment – a weight I need to remind myself of.
I’ve been thinking about the idea of the perfect day and what it should consist of. I have a budget of 24 hours:
- Each week day, I tend to work for 8-9 hours (sometimes more). Let’s just say that that brings my total down to 15 hours.
- Each day, I try to spend at least 8 hours sleeping, bringing my total down to 7 hours.
- I typically spend about 1.25 hours talking with my lady love. That brings my daily grand total down to 5.75 hours.
- I spend 30-45 minutes each day walking the pooch. That brings my budget down to 5 hours.
- Let’s just get it over with and say that before bed and after waking up are about 30 minutes of wind up and wind-down each. That leaves me with 4 hours of budget time to allot each day to other activities.
Four hours. That’s a lot more than I expected! And it also means I waste a lot of time each day. What could I fill those hours with? Here are some things I’d like:
- Working out (~45 mins./day)
- Project work (at least 1.5 hours/day)
- This journal (15-30 minutes each day)
- Down time (probably the rest)
Time to start tracking things to see how I actually spend my time. This is good think about. I want to continue this thought process tomorrow.